- Have medical tests failed to explain the cause of your troubling physical symptoms?
- Have medical treatments failed to address and reduce your suffering?
- Do you think that stress and emotional factors could be causing or worsening your symptoms?
You may be suffering from Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms (MUPS), which can be caused by emotions and treated with therapy. I specialize in helping people with these kinds of difficulties.
Every physical system of the body can be activated in response to the emotions and anxiety triggered by life stress, and certain ways of thinking can make these make these responses more severe. As a result, syndromes and symptoms like Irritable Bowel Syndrome, migraine, and fibromyalgia are all-too-common among folks struggling with emotional difficulties. Medical interventions for these conditions often fall short, but research shows that therapy can help.
I can help you and your medical team to clarify whether and to what extent emotional factors are contributing to your physical symptoms. This diagnosis can often be achieved in a relatively short time. If we identify that emotional factors are contributing to the medical condition, we can work together in therapy to help you reduce the portion of your symptoms that is caused by emotions.
If you are suffering from any of the following syndromes, and medical interventions and tests have been inconclusive, contact me today for a consultation:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Functional Dyspepsia
- Psychogenic movement disorders
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Migraine or tension headaches
- Conversion disorder or somatic symptom disorder
- Tension Myositis Syndromes (TMS)
- Chronic pain or muscle tension (e.g., chest pain)
- Pelvic pain, urethral syndrome
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
- Neurological symptoms (e.g. dizziness, weakness in limbs, blurry vision, tunnel vision, tingling or numbness in extremities, tinnitus)
- Multiple chemical sensitivities (MCS)
- Erectile dysfunction (ED)
- Rashes or itching linked with stress
I recently co-founded, along with Dr. Joseph Cooper, the Institute for Emotions and Health in Washington, DC, which is a resource for diagnosis, treatment, and research of Medically Unexplained Physical Problems (MUPS) in Washington, DC. For more information about our mission and work at the Institute for Emotions and Health, please visit iehdc.com.
For more information about the utility of therapyfor the diagnosis and treatment of medically-unexplained physical symptoms, somatization, and conversion, please check out these blog posts by Dr. Joseph.